Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Love And Freedom

I was reading an article the other day that got me thinking. It involved a Jewish man and a Catholic woman. They met and decided to date and had dated for a while before they discused their religous back grounds. They decided to keep dating even after they found out they were from different back grounds. They enjoyed each others company and after being together for a couple of years decided to get married. The family would not hear of it, and forbid them to marry. What I don't understand is why do the families feel that they should have any say so. You don't choose who you fall in love with and why should religous differeces play a roll in deciding weather they get married or not.

There are so many people out there who long to have the love of a good woman or man but don't because the one they do happen to fall in love with is of a different religion. It is just stupid to not marry the one you love because of such a minor difference. I have heard people say that it could cause problems with raising children. It only causes problems because one side is not open mined enough to let the other side have a say. I would let my child know the best of both religions and let them decide when they are older what they want to believe.

We live in America where men have fought and died so we could have the freedoms that we have today. For someone to say that it is not allowed or that you can not, is a mockery of what those men stood and fought for. We have built our glorious nation on the belief that we are free to make whatever decisions we see fit to make. We may make the wrong decisions but I want the right to make that wrong decision. I want the freedom to say I love him or her and if it is a mistake then it is my mistake to make. I say to all the people who have come across this problem" LOVE and have the FREEDOM to be loved".

No comments: